- Bags honours in Dubai as Best DPO in Nigeria•
- BY EMMANUEL EDOM in Lagos•
There is popular but universally accepted maxim, which says, that ‘there is a time in the affairs of men.’
This age-long saying aptly fits the current happenings in the life of ‘Nigeria Super Cop’ Taiwo Olufemi Kasumu, a Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP), whose diligence, hard work and dedication to his chosen career, has once again brought him into international limelight, as he shines in faraway Dubai, in the United Arab Emirate (UAE).
He is being recognised and honoured this week by Stellenbosch University of South Africa in collaboration with African Security Watch, at its 2019, 16th Conference taking place on November 6th to 7th, at the Radisson Blue Hotel, as the Best Divisional Police Officer, (DPO), in Nigeria in 2019.
Indeed, it is often said that ‘a prophet is without honour in his own place and home’, but CSP Taiwo Olufemi Kasumu, appears to be an exceptions to the rule, considering the fact that he is billed to receive the prestigious Crime Reporters Association of Nigeria (CRAN) Award 2019, slated for November 28th at the Sheraton Hotels Ikeja, Lagos.
This is besides other numerous recognitions he has garnered over the years, including series of spontaneous celebrations by residents in Igando, Lagos, his primary duty place, who tag him ‘Crime Buster of the year.’
An Attorney at Law who has a B.Sc. (Hon) and M.Sc in Sociology from the Lagos State University and the University of Lagos respectively. He also bagged his Ph.D in Sociology with a bias in Sociology of Law and Criminal Justice.
He is a member of the Police Cadet ASP Course 21/02 of the Nigeria Police Academy, Wudil, Kano and has served in several departments of the Force.
Notably, an International Police Trainer with vast experiences in Cross-Cultural Communications, Rule of Law and Multi-agency Collaborations. He has served in both the United Nations and African Union Peace Keeping Missions in Darfur, Sudan as a trainer and was later appointed as the Police Spokesman for the AU mission in Mogadishu, Somalia in 2009 to 2011.
The above feat was recorded, despite the huge dent on the Force garnered over the years, an indication that with dedicated and courageous officers like CSP Kasumu, whose selfless service to the nation is lifting the Force, the citizens would confidently, believing that there is hope for the future.
A polished, intelligent, humble and honest police officer worthy of mention and emulation, he served as the Secretary of a three-man AU envoy to Burundi for Police on recruitment of police peacekeepers in 2007 under the Chairmanship of Police Commissioner Karl Nobin of the Republic of Mauritius.
As a lawyer, he has worked in the Legal Department of the Nigeria Police and also served as the officer in charge of Human Rights at the State Criminal Investigations Department in Lagos.
He was redeployed as the Divisional Police Officer on 14th of July 2018 to head Igando Police Divisional Headquarters, where he transformed the outlook of the station with great aesthetic values compared to previous years.
Despite the difficult and dangerous terrain, where mediocre failed, his diligence, hard work, discipline and knack for dislodging criminal elements in the society aided his achievements.
Most of the significant impact this astute senior police officer has made in his career was aimed at reducing crimes in Lagos.
A highly detribalised Nigerian, he obviously understands the working of millennium security architecture, which he has been applying diligently to achieve his numerous positive results.
Most of his admirers in the non-security sectors, are tempted to attribute his self-control, pious dispositions and excellent performances to his supernatural calling in the vineyard of God, as he is a revered Senior Pastor at the Redeem Christian Church of God, whereas some security experts opined that CSP Kasumu is a master strategists and educationist per excellence.
His major operational achievements within the period under review include but not limited to the followings:
- He led a team on 2/8/18 as agent provocateur that busted a gang of assassins procured to kill one 60 years old Madam Gladys Osaigbovo. The suspects confessed to the crime and were arrested and currently in prison while prosecution lasts.
- CSP Kasumu also led a team on 14th November 2018 that arrested a notorious armed robber called ThankGod Idoko and recovered his pistol and the ammunitions. The suspect is currently standing trial in court.
- As a man who believes in near eradication of crimes, criminality, fairness, Godliness, as his driving force with which Justice will be fostered in the society, he once again led a team of detectives that busted a kidnap syndicate based in Igando, who targets job seekers and liberated five hostages and demolished their shrines in Igando community in Lagos. The case enjoyed media limelight in September 2018 and the suspects are currently in prison.
- Refusing to allow his successes to blow his head, He led another team on 26/12/2018 that arrested one Vincent Ameh and Julius Mathew, a member of the Vikings Cult and the chief executioner of the cult respectively, and recovered their pistol and ammunition’s, both suspects are currently in prison.
- He Again uncovered the novel attempt and initiation of primary school pupils into cultism at a primary school in Igando on 1st February, 2019. The Lagos State Ministry of Youth later took over the matter for proper counselling and reorientation of the pupil and their teachers.
- Further he led a team that spied and impounded the poisonous animal skin (ponmo) in April 2019 imported but flagged by the Lagos ministry of health as toxic for human consumption. The three trailer loads of ponmo were evacuated and consequently destroyed by the Lagos state ministry of health to avert possible epidemic.
- Known by his officers and Men as a workaholic DPO, he led yet another team in April, 2019 and busted a Kidnap syndicate that Kidnap a two- year-old girl from the Mountain of Fire and Miracle church in Agege, Lagos. The victim was held hostage in kidnappers den for two months; he recovered the toddler unhurt and re-united her with her parent while her abductors were charged to court.
- The list of his operational breakthroughs are endless, as he led a team that confronted the deadly armed robbery gang that terrorised Egan residential community on 20th September, 2019 at 3 am in a fierce gun duel where one of the robbers was fatally shot, another arrested with a gunshot wound currently hospitalised at police Medical Centre in Lagos. Investigation in progress to track the fleeing accomplices. However, his team recovered two exotic Toyota Lexus saloon car that was snatched by the gangs.
- He has a robust community partnership approach to policing and a believer in best practices in Criminal Justice Administrations and the Rule of Law.
A competent, intelligent and hard-working Super Cop, who sacrifices his night sleep to keep his people safe, CSP Kasumu will always be remembered for his hard work, high ethical conducts and standard.
CSP Kasumu is happily married with children, and he enjoys lawful association and reading the Bible.